Sunday, August 20, 2006

I'm the same ghost I was before

But I still converse with the spirits
When people talk I dont hear it
I walk through doors when no one sees me
I disappear, I disappear, disappear
Whenever it may please me

-Oingo Boingo -

Wow, who knew that Oingo Boingo wrote the coolest music in the world?

The last two weekends have been great! Almost Adelaide-esque from a weather point of view. There is a latent warmth in the air that has thawed me out of my winter malaise. I even went for a jog on the beach this afternoon!

During the course of my work with Groove Terminator Laboratories Pty Ltd, I would say that things have been pretty good.

There was a great learning curve at the beginning, what with learning to use new software, and getting used to working in a professional environment. It was exciting to actually have money, and be able to buy things and do things without having to worry about where the next cheque would be coming from. I got along with everybody (the exception being Horsey-girl, but we've settled for a dignified aloofness). I could basically slip my headphones on, get wired for sound, and work away by myself for a good 8 (or 12) hours before going home.

The work hours were very flexible, and everybody knew their place. Things were running like a well lubricated machine. Of course there would be a minor misfire occasionally if somebody raised the ire of Horsey-girl, but we would all run for cover neath our headphones if she was in a foul mood.

Things changed immeasurably about 3 months ago when a new girl Nikki started on our team. I suppose you could say that I work in a male-dominated industry, so adding another girl to the team would inevitably change the dynamic.

And how! Barely 23 yo, and 5'5 of dynamite. She isn't exactly hot in the traditional sense, but she was definitely cute and certainly made better scenery than the Horsey-girl.
The thing with Nikki is not about her looks at all. She has this omnipresence.

Within the first day of work, she had sensed the tension in our room, and cut through all the carefully constructed webs that held our little office together. She had put Horsey-girl in her place by sticking up for someone that was copping the brunt of another misdirected tirade. And had been propositioned by at least two male colleagues.

She makes me coffee every morning, just the way I like it, and her big brown eyes twinkle with mischief as she makes paper hats for everyone in the office whilst singing "hoed von papier" or somesuch in her delectable dialect. So how can I not be intrigued and entranced by this girl? I found her to be friendly, enthusiastic, and quite unique. She's just my type.

And as fate would have it, we were paired up to work together on a few projects. She invited me to her house. I've had breakfast with her and her parents. We kind of bonded a bit. We discussed her recent ex-boyfriend. I took her out for a coffee one morning when I came in and found her dissolved in tears at her desk.

However, just lately, we've kind of drifted apart. Possibly due to the on-off nature of her relationship (they're still best friends, and go motorbike riding every weekend). Possibly due to her Aquarian genotype which makes her a free-spirit never to be owned or possessed.

The thing is now that work is 'really great', although not for the same reasons. I spend a lot more time just hanging around the coffee machine talking with her than actually doing anything productive.

So now that work has become less stimulating mentally, yet somewhat more stimulating in other ways, I find myself not wanting to leave. Despite my better judgement telling me otherwise.

And then there's Amanda in accounts, but that's a story for another time...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened to wegg????

August 30, 2006 8:02 am  
Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

was wegg that girl who said 'arsk'? i couldnt read her site purely because of that word.

September 09, 2006 11:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was her. I think somebody uncovered her identity and she freaked.

September 12, 2006 1:31 am  
Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

is that cos she put a mobile phone up inside her and got her friend to call her so it would vibrate? was that the same girl?

ADRIAN WHERE ARE YOU!!!

September 18, 2006 9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WEGGLYWOO.....That was her.

September 20, 2006 2:06 am  
Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

so basically, you're the same except that you dont blog anymore?

November 28, 2006 5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you happy Adrian?

December 09, 2006 2:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home