Sunday, May 14, 2006

Any Port in a storm?

Has it been nearly a month since my last post? Wow...

It's time to get back on the horse.

For a while now, I've been trying really hard to swim upstream. Push myself to bigger and better things. It's been an interesting ride, but it's really not my natural state. I'm much more used to going with the flow.

Since we last spoke I have just kind of allowed things to happen. Se ra Se ra and all that. And I think that has been for my benefit. I've put on some weight, and I really do feel like a snake crawling into an old skin.

It's like I've been digging a tunnel, and then going round to the other side of the mountain, and meeting myself in the middle. Connecting with myself.

Once more to feel Destiny slide her loving and well lubricated hands along the length and girth of my inner resolve. And to bask in the radiance of one of Lady Luck's warm smiles.

My homelessness lasted a week. I was working long hours at the office, then going downstairs to the carpark to sleep in my car. However, I knew that somehow things would work out.

And so it is that I have a new residence, In Port of Melbourne.

A terrace house of my very own.

I have taken possession of the large master bedroom with balcony overlooking a little cafe. And windows that operate in both the open and closed positions. Outside the kitchen window is a small garden and courtyard. Neat.

Today I bought a new fridge, and a nice sofa for the sitting room, however it won't be ready for four weeks and so, it is a little empty at the moment.

Who knows, when I settle in, I might even take some photos. It's really quite nice and homely. Only a stones throw to the markets, and a hop, skip and jump to the beach. And all the facilities. And a 20 minute walk to work.

A rather odd place, this land of Port Melbourne. Without any of the hustle or bustle of Fitzroy, that I do sadly miss, and yet only a 5 minute journey to the city. It's like a land that time forgot. Not that it's a bad thing. But nobody knows where Port Melbourne is. Even long time Melbournites. St Kilda, Albert Park sure... but Port Melbourne? I didn't even know there was a Port Melbourne...

It will be fun to explore this new neighbourhood.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I feel a certain sense of envy towards your new digs, but not your method of swimming - I like to paddle with the current. But shit...who am I to talk - when has what I like to do ever fallen in line with what I actually do?

Good to hear whats going on on the other side of the globe, A.

-mjk

p.s.

This isn't a shameless plug. Check out my tunes and see if you like them - Just cuz we've got some tastes in common. Search "matthew kates" on the itunes music store.

May 16, 2006 6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going with the current only takes you to the bottom of the stream.

But its a fun ride.

I like the music. That your band?

May 18, 2006 7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an odd location in some respects but they often can be the best - 'cause sometimes there is nothing more satisfying then escaping somewhere like Fitzroy or St Kilda - and also you will probably find yourself there more often then if you actually lived in those areas. Sounds like you've found yourself a nice plot!

Rups

May 21, 2006 12:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home