Monday, January 09, 2006

Russian Dolls



Wow I can't believe it's been nine days since New Years already. As luck might have it, I received a txt from a former student to come to a gourmet barbeque. It was held at their apartment in South Melbourne, and it was good to see so many Adelaide faces.

Flouting firebans, we trammed and jammed into Federation Square to watch the fireworks spectacular, and stood on the bridge over the Yarra as the starbursts exploded around us. It's the first time in ages that I've been anyplace public for NYE. There were people everywhere, and after it all finished 20 minutes later, we headed back to the apartment. The only problem was that we were going against the torrent of people that were headed into the city, and were almost trampled in our efforts to get home. And the heat was intense. It was still 32 degrees at midnight, and with all that body heat, it was almost overwhelming.

New Years Resolutions? Sure. Here are some that I prepared earlier.


(1) I baked myself a fish. It was a rainbow trout, and it had already been gutted, so all that I had to do was add a few vegies and put it in the oven. It was a little pink in the middle, but it's probably better to undercook than overcook. Not bad for a first try.

(2) On New Years Day, I went for a scenic drive down to Portsea (Well almost... there was a big festival on Phillip Island and the traffic was crazy, so I turned around and stopped off at Dromana for some fish and chips. Very nice.

With the radio on, and an arm out the window, and wearing my favourite wife-beater, I was reminded of the harshness of the Australian sun. The next day my right shoulder came up looking like a strawberry pie.

(3) I ventured down to my local Nova cinema on Lygon Street, Carlton. (I'm sure there's one in every state or territory. Consult your local guides). The movie I chose was Russian Dolls or Les Poupées Russes if you'll pardon my French. I always judge a film by its promotional poster, and this one had several beautiful girls on it. Including, but not limited to Audrey Tautou from Amelie. Anyways without giving anything away, on a scale of one to ten, I rate this film as

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

And speaking of Russian Dolls, please enjoy this amusing cartoon about Russian Dolls that I just found...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home