Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hey Ramrod!

It has come to my attention from various media outlets that the 41st Victorian Hot Rod Show is on this weekend.

Exciting huh?

I feel strangely compelled to attend this event, if not for the briefest of moments. Allow me to explain.

But first, you need to come on a little journey with me through time. Here throw on this pair of magical time travelling happypants and matching bustiere.

Yes, I know that zip at the back is a little tricky,... let me help.

Don't mind my wandering hands.

All buckled up?

Take my hand.

*travelling through time*

Wow, here we are in 1995.

No, you can't check your e-mail, the internet won't be popular for at least another two years.

This is a mystical year when people didn't wear truckers caps, but Orlando Magic baseball caps (funny coz their a basketball team). And here in 1995 if you wore a pink shirt, you would probably get beaten up by the same people that are wearing them in 2006.

Time-travel does some weird things to people. (and thats just going forward)

And if you look over there, curled up in that bed, you will see me.

I'm sleeping, but don't wake me up....

I'm having a strange but vivid dream of being at a car show. I'm checking out all the chrome and carbys. I have no idea of the significance of this dream, because I haven't been much into cars since 1991, when I used to buy Street Machine magazine every month. My favourite car was the black four-door HJ Premier in the October 1990 edition, and I had the centrefold pinned up on my wall. It could pull sub-10 second quarter mile times and had a fully blown 454ci Chev motor (bored out to 482ci) under the hood.

Regardless, I'm at this car-show. But it's strange because I can't figure out where I am. I mean the surroundings are unfamiliar. It seems like the Torrens Parade Grounds in Adelaide, because it's a big asphalt quadrangle, but it's not. I just can't put my finger on it.

And there is a blonde girl in denim cut-offs and a wet tshirt sponging down a red '32 Ford roadster. There are suds everywhere, and I mean everywhere

"Hey ramrod! I'm just about to put some wax on these puppies. Can you help me?


Sorry to do this to you at the critical moment, but we have to go back to the future now... I'm about to wake up. It always happens that you wake up before the good bits huh?

You know the drill.

*more time travel, this time to 2006*

So anyways, a few months ago, I was walking home from work past the Royal Exhibition buildings, and it struck me that the setting of this dream could have been right here in Melbourne. Right where I was standing. It just felt right.

Imagine my surprise when now they are going to put on a hot-rod show in the very same place. It's all a little de ja vu, je ne sais pas porqui

Don't you think?

So now I must go to the hot-rod show. I want to know why I dreamed of the hot-rod show some 10 years prior to its eventual being.

If only to see the blonde girl wax her puppies.

4 Comments:

Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

will they look like this when she's finished?

http://topcatbreeders.com/images/15/Listings/Listing2496.jpg

January 19, 2006 8:55 am  
Blogger Ms Smack said...

Thats an excellent post Adrian!

very enjoyable

January 19, 2006 9:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

i concur. that is some snappy writing...and some enviable dream recall, by the way.

January 22, 2006 5:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, all. But I never made it to the gig.

What fate awaits me now?

January 27, 2006 1:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home