Monday, December 05, 2005

Spacewalk time, spacewalk time...

Getting out of bed this morning was a big mistake.

I was woken up at 7.45 (in the am) by my phone. A work colleague from Groove Terminator Laboratories rang to tell me that he had found some field maps on the air-conditioner in the parking garage beneath work.

"They must be mine", I concluded.

Although I had no idea why they would have been there. I'm sure I remember putting them upstairs, although memory is pretty hazy (It was Saturday, come on!)

I arrived at work at two thirty to find some maps stuffed on my desk, underneath the clear plastic folder that they came in. The only problem was that there were meant to be two plastic folders, and about twice as many maps.

I went down to the hire car and turned everything upside-down looking for them.

No trace.

I drove home and tipped everything over looking for the maps.

No maps.

Sheepish, but not particularly wooly, and quietly fuming, I drove back to work.

"They must be at work somewhere. I'll wait til everyone goes home, and then I'll have a good look around."

I managed to locate the person that had found my maps and put them on the airconditioner.

"Yeah there was just a whole bunch of maps layin on the ground and I put them on the airconditioner. They was all A3 and folded in half."

I had a flashback to Saturday, where I may have left the maps on the bonnet of the car whilst I unloaded gear into the workshop. That may have explained said maps flying off as I drove my steed flinging valuable maps into the recesses of the basement. It didn't however explain why only half the maps had been recovered.

So I didn't tell anyone that I'd lost my maps. Remember the golden rule.

Never admit to your mistakes

Especially not on your blog, where quite possibly everyone from the office reads it.

Okay so it's not the end of the world. I'll go back to the goldfields with the new maps this weekend, and get the data. And I'll have lost a weekend, but I'll have my job. Cool.

So then I'm sitting in my luxurious armchair when Mark comes over.

"Adrian, where are the keys to the workshop."

Eeep.

"It's okay, I'll just reach into my pocket and pull them out, because after all, that's where I put them right?"

And of course Murphy's Law played out in full effect. You know, key disappears from existence. I won't bore you with the details, but Candice Bergen was probably there with her little candid camera getting it all down on film to be shown at the office Christmas party.

Needless to say that there are people that will need the key first thing tomorrow morning, and will be rather pissed when it is not where it is meant to be.

Aren't you glad that I'm not a doctor?

"I'm sorry Mrs Watherstone, but I seem to have left my retractor in your pancreas."

1 Comments:

Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

adrian, you can call me anytime you want, k

xx

December 07, 2005 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home