Thursday, October 06, 2005

3 things that happened in Melbourne in 24 hours

(1) Bloodsport

Last night riding home from work at the ungodly time of 11pm, I was pedalling up Flinders Street with a tummy full of tasty Kashmiri chicken and assorted pickles and conserves, when I felt my spider-senses tingling. They always seem to tingle around this part of town... Just out the front of the Flinders Station.

The last time, there was some drunk guy yelling at me to "chuck a mono". After I declined his invitation, he then yelled that I was the "worst bike rider ever." That was just rude and hurtful. By the way, he wasn't making such a great pedestrian either :)

There was trouble up ahead. A van had stopped in the traffic, and I pulled into the traffic to go around. I could hear two strapping young twenty-somethings shouting expletives and flapping their arms about like a couple of seabirds fighting over that last greasy yet nutritious chip.
And between them was more pink-polo-top-with-upturned-collar-ness than one could bear to watch. Not that I could see much because the van was blocking my way.

As I came up around the other side of the van, I could see a few fists being thrown about, none of which were hitting any targets. But,... one of the bemulleted youths was sprawled over the bonnet of the oncoming van, leaving the poor driver with ringside streets at an unexpected bloodsport in the comfort AND privacy of his own vehicle.

I didn't hang around to see what happened, but I suspect that hair was messed up, and girlfriends may have screamed. And I didn't stay around to see who won, but I don't think either of them did.

(2) Trip to IKEA

I saw this particularly nifty workstation for my desktop that would fit great in the little nook at the bottom of the stairs.

I rang them to find out if they could send one over because my car was out of action.

After waiting on the phone while the pre-recorded message went through the rigours of trying to piss me off, I was finally put through to a human being to finish the job.

I was told rather indignantly that all purchases must be made in store. And delivery is $35 if within 5 km and $65 if between 5-10 km.

Convenient.

That's nearly as much as what the furniture costs.

So I had to get the car fixed, and went down to pick one up. I couldn't really complain about the service because there wasn't any :)

And I suppose that's why they make the prices so low.

But anyway, I'll have fun tomorrow morning trying to bolt it all together. Lets just hope that it turns out like the one in the picture.

(3) Celebrity sighting

I saw Nicole Kidman at Safeway.

And she had her hair the same way as in BMX Bandits. Tight little orange curls.

Tasty.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms Smack said...

wow what a day!

1.Violence makes me cry.

2. Hope you've got allen keys.

3. Im pleased Nicole and Tom are over.

October 06, 2005 9:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melbourne getting ready to go Troppo, for some reason, everytime summer comes in, Melbourne people go loopy.

October 07, 2005 3:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home