Monday, July 18, 2005

Sarah Blasko

At Carly's insistence, I headed down to the Corner Hotel in Richmond to see Sarah Blasko. To be honest, it's not the sort of thing I would normally go to see (I was going to see The Sailors at Northcote RSL instead). But I know that Carly usually has good taste, so I thought why not. I'm always keen to try new things.

So I finally found a parking spot (I could have walked, but it was so freezing) and moseyed up to the door. The tickets were all sold out, and they had put a sign up on the wall. Apparently the next night as well.

As I was turning to leave towards a nice little Indian place I saw on the way there, a girl asked me if I needed a ticket. Two of her friends couldn't make it, so she gave me the ticket. It was so nice of her, that I gave her twenty dollars. All very legitimate of course. Just two people giving gifts. Move along, nothing to see here....

I made my way to the bar, and the pale ale was like $6.80, so I settled for a pot of Stella. It was undrinkable though, because the glasses hadn't been rinsed (as I have found in many pubs, and there was a film of detergent sudsing around on the surface of the beer). Tasty..

Lesson #1: Always buy bottled beer at the Corner.

I bought a Corona, and headed to the front of the stage.

78 Saab were playing, and I had heard of this band, but didn't know anything about them. I'm sorry Carly, I know that you like them, but I would have to put them up with Thirsty Merc and High Stakes as the worst bands I have ever seen. It's not that they were bad musicians or what ever, but they were just insipid. There weren't any catchy hooks or energy or anything (Kind of like this blog, ha!). Charlie the cowboy was funny though with his tambourine, and the keyboard that he never played, and I thought the singer reminded me of Paul Pfeiffer from the Wonder Years.

Lesson 2: Do not ever watch 78 Saab. Ever.

So anyway, Sarah Blasko came out, and she was pretty cute with all her spacemonkey dancing and Underground Lovers covers (rhymes). It was great the way all the members of the band swapped the instruments around, and the arrangements were all lush and dreamy. She writes some righteous tunes, and has that whole Bjork Tori Amos Portishead Frente! thing going. And I think she was a thousand times better than that annoying Missy Higgins. (I hope I haven't offended you too much faerie)

I was going to get you the mittens, but they had all sold out :( And I bet you already bought the Tshirt.

So I was worn out after that. I wanted to go to the Tote, but I didn't really feel up to it, so I found a Hungry Jacks! (There aren't many of them here in Melbourne, mainly KFC and red rooster) and curled up in my little bed.

Oh, and now that I have a job, I'm getting a new bed from this little futon place down the street. It's japanese style, and very nice and only $300, not including the mattress, but still!

3 Comments:

Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

aaah, sarah blasko, she has my heart, that girl

im glad you enjoyed her...if i knew you liked bruce springstien i probably wouldnt have been so insistent that you go...maybe i would have grabbed you by the shoulders, shook you and said 'wha???', although romeo and juliet does have a special place in my heart (that sarah blasko now owns).

thirsty merc....i pfft your thirsty mercness. for starters you saw them live, that in which is laughable in itself....i had to retype 'itself' three times before geting it right

thanks for thinking of getting me gifts, you really dont have to and i *know* i've told you that already. i wonder if thats something i'll have to adapt about myself...

July 18, 2005 11:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't actually see Thirsty Merc in person, thank god! I saw them by accident on Sunrise, and the two hosts were shakin their asses to it, and I thought "Man, are those guys lame."

July 20, 2005 1:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"righteous"?

July 21, 2005 7:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home