Thursday, July 28, 2005

The day before payday

Well here I am in my office. I've just finished a days work. In the morning I had my track safety course down in the Footscray rail yards. And I was standing with the rest of the class watching a 3000 hp diesel locomotive passing through the yard, when the driver opened his window and looked down at us. "Now be sure to write", he announced in his 18th century blacksmith accent. And continued on towards Geelong or Adelaide or wherever the hell he was going. Those trains are bloody big. It's not until you are standing right beside one that you realise it. And they can be quiet too. You really have to have your wits about you.

Reminds me of the times when I would scull down in the Port River. And it would be dusk, and late in the summer. Days were long but my strokes were longer. The oars would dip in the waters of glass. And the bow would pierce the calm. And it required such concentation and such effort that you would lose all sense of time and space and become one with your craft.

And then I would get a sense of something dark and foreboding, and as I turned over my left shoulder, I would see it, no more than 50 metres away. A grain tanker. Twenty stories of solid iron drifting silently up the channel. Right towards me.

Checking the oars, I made for the opposite bank, and almost falling out in panic, I laughed loudly to myself that I had come so close to disaster... again...


So I have about 2 dollars to my name and I have to walk home tonight as I don't have a fare for the tram. And I don't particularly want to mow anyones lawn (Melbourne joke). I think Nunchukka Superfly are playing tonite at the Espy, and I can't see them due to the fact that I am broke, but I believe they will be at the RobRoy on Saturday night, so I will go there instead. And it's just around the corner! But it's nice out,... a little cold, yet it's nice to know that tomorrow, I shant have any worries about money.

Plus we have an office puttputt and pizza nite tomorrow here at Groove Terminator laboratories. So I really have no reason to complain at all.

1 Comments:

Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Does it has to be pay check to pay check? Why can't it be better. Hi, you have written here about me ;-)

How told you that?

July 30, 2005 9:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home