Friday, July 22, 2005

Assignment 2

For Joanne C, my life story in three paragraphs.
Enjoy!

15 years ago (1990)

I was 11, living in Whyalla, and doing Year 12 for the first time. My dad accelerated me through the school system, and made me study every night when I got home from school. I used school as an escape from all the shit that was going on at home, and used to do absolutely nothing except talk to my friends. I failed every single subject, and my dad was furious with me. This made him try even harder, and everytime I failed a test, I remember I would hide it in a cupboard or somewhere around the school, rather than bring it home where he would ask to see it. I remember one day, my dad was called into the school and was presented with the tests that the school co-ordinator had collected from various hidey holes. He was so embarrassed, and furious! I copped a real hiding that day.
I also remember being banned from study lessons for pinning up a picture of a naked woman on the wall after being dared by a friend. Aaah those were the days! Despite the fact that my home life was pretty miserable, the time that I spent at school were the happiest of my life. There were some great people at my school, and
I also remember the first girl I ever had eyes for, Joanne. She was in my Biology and German classes, and I would spend all lesson glancing in her direction, with my stomach tied in knots.
This was also the year that my parents separated, and I moved to Adelaide where I lived with my mum and returned to 'semi-normal schooling'.

10 years ago (1995)

I started Year 12 for the second time. I was distracted however, and left part-way through the first semester to work my first job in a department store selling sports shoes and equipment. It was fun to be earning some money, and I would spend it all on records and cds. In my spare time, I was riding my bike and rowing to keep fit, but I was also spending a lot of time drinking with friends at barbeques and going to the local pub. My friends were all about 5 years older than I was, and we would spend balmy Sunday afternoons watching the one day cricket and getting absolutely blind. We would listen to a lot of punk music and spent the whole time having a blast.

5 years ago (July 2000)

I had just returned from my first sojourn overseas where I went to Singapore, Sumatra and Malaysia. It was a field trip for my University studies, and I spent 10 days living with the natives in the forests of Indonesia. It was unreal, and it gave me a huge insight into how big the world was. I was looking for work to try to pay off the loan for the trip, and went for jobs as a real estate agent, and sales until I got a job as a dance instructor, teaching ballroom, latin and South American styles of dance. I had never danced before, and was given 6 months free training before I started.

2 years ago (July 2003)

I was going out with Rebecca, a girl that I had met through rowing. She was 17 and still at school, and I was 24, had graduated from Uni, was still living at home with Mum, and was looking for work in a very half-arsed way. I had no real direction, or motivation. My days involved getting up, watching Bert Newton, driving down to Chinatown for "$5 All you can eat", then waiting til Bec got home from school, and spending all my time with her. I was totally in love with her, and we blew each other away because we were both so different. But I guess in hindsight, there was no way it could have worked out. But we both gave it our best shot. I put on about 10 kilos during this time just enjoying myself and getting homely.

1 year ago (July 2004)

It was just before Bec went overseas. A very upsetting time. We were fighting continually about stupid things. Mainly she was upset with me because I didn't do anything , and she was working like a dog with her dad doing concreting to save for her trip. She would come home absolutely wrecked and I would be sitting around doing nothing but playing on the computer. She couldn't understand how I couldn't want to better myself, but I was happy just being with her. I couldn't understand why she was working so hard just to get angry with everything. After she left, I became a different person. I lost 15 kilos because I was so depressed and had no idea what to do. I had given everything to this girl, and now I was totally vacant.

Yesterday

Thursday. Rode my bike to work, and mapped away merrily for 8 hours, before riding home and watching England pound Austalia in the Ashes. (It's cricket)

Today

Friday. What? I thought it was Thursday. That explains why everyone in the office is in casuals. This morning I bought a present for Faerie, and will send it to her soon! I also sprang for a haircut. Beth, you did a great job, my dear. And I am now working late because I am on shift work now. While I should be out having fun.

Tomorrow

Saturday, my day of rest. I'll probably go somewhere that I haven't been before. Try a different restaurant (So many to choose from) and catch up with emails and stuff.



5 snacks I enjoy

2-minute Noodles, Vili's pasties, frozen yoghurt, Vietnamese cold meat rolls, cashews

5 songs I know the words to even w/out the music

Anything by the Ramones, the Beatles, or U2

5 games I like

chess, spider solitaire, scrabble, draughts, chinese checkers

5 albums that changed my life (Too hard, but anyway)

U2 - Rattle and Hum (They'd all be U2, but that's too easy), Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime, Hard-ons - Dateless Dudes Club, Sebadoh - Bakesale, Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

5 things I would buy w/one Thousand Dollars

A new pair of jeans or two, some poetry books, new cds/records, some gloves, and a lapdance(?)

My top 5 guilty pleasures

Turkish Delight, lengthy hot showers, thai/ vietnamese/ indian food, bangers and mash, shepherds pie

5 top musicians lately (who's in the cd player)

Screaming Believers (on the turntable), Sugar - Copper Blue, Hard-ons - This Terrible Place, PiL - Album, i:cube - Adore

Top 5 locations I would like to run away to

San Francisco, LA, The Kimberleys, Spain, Portugal

5 things I would never wear

The blame, a nappy, leather hotpants, a g-string, a horse

5 TV shows I like

Seinfeld, South Park, MASH, Barney Miller, Happy Days.

2 Comments:

Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

i stole your idea, btw

July 23, 2005 3:17 pm  
Blogger Ms Smack said...

some g-strings for boys can be comfi... so I'm told..

August 10, 2005 12:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home