Monday, May 30, 2005

Out of touch

"Adrian, its not 1981 anymore."

I know, I know. It's 200-fucking-5. This is the problem. We're living in the damn future.

I arranged to go and see the latest StarWars with a girl that I am friends with from work. Definitely the best movie that George Lucas has done since Return of the Jedi.
I haven't seen the new cinemas at West Lakes either, so I thought I'd kill two birds at once. So I met her outside David Jones and we had enough time to get lunch before hand. She was putting her iPOD in her bag, and I cautioned her to put it away quickly. Thugs target people with iPODs, it says so in the news. And I didn't feel like getting into any fisticuffs. We had to go to the ATM, so that she could get money out. One of these days, iPODs are going to have built in ATMs, so that you can transfer money directly into your iPOD. I am sure.

So for lunch, we had Quiznos. It was OK, but I don't see what the fuss is about. It's just Subway with a toasted bun.

And what have they done to West Lakes? It's not West Lakes anymore. Not the West Lakes I know and love. Does anybody remember when they had that weird forest thing in the middle? With the tubular steel lights that hung down? I remember seeing a whole stage of girls doing a dance routine to Madonna's Material Girl when I was about 7 years old. Changed my life that did.

We got our tickets and joined the other three people in the biggest most luxurious theatre ever created. I didn't know if we were watching StarWars so much as we were living in it. There are some good movies coming out too. Like Mr and Mrs Smith (if only for Angelina Jolie, mmmm sweet). Fantastic Four looks interesting. Special effects these days are beyond the call.

And I really liked StarWars. Whenever I see a movie, I always try to see how it relates to me. And somehow it did. In a deep and indescribable way, I was not the same person walking out of the cinema to the one that went in. I might write more later.

It's funny, I am so out of touch with the world at the moment. Somewhere in the last two years, I think someone has done the old switcheroo with the normal world and replaced it with some high tech gizmo laden future land.

How many firsts in one day? I've lost count.

So I'm going back to my room. And I'm going to put on my Screaming Believers album, and there is going to be nothing but saxaphone drenched nostalgia. And it will be 1985 again. If only in my room.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaufman said...

I share your concerns about the speed of technological advancement. They used to have real people on the other end of a phone to try and come to terms with my bickering. Now there are computers that inflict a world of apathy while deciding which pre-recorded human voice should deal with my problems. I like it as it reminds me of a scene in... maybe The Sure Thing [?] or maybe another '80s flick where fewer and fewer students attend lectures, placing their tape recorders where they should be. At the end of the scene, the lecturer has placed a tape recorder where s/he ought to be.

Maybe we can all go fishing in a few years and get the technology to go to work for us. Maybe it'll become a race of who can own the best robot who succeeds in social circles and not who can do the best at his/her chosen trade.

Then again, maybe it's age catching up with us and the notion of being young and open to new things has been replaced with being older and less likely to grasp the concept of new things. I don't know.

Great post, Adrian. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

May 31, 2005 3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers Bricktop, glad you liked it. Probably a mix of the two I guess. I just wonder what we'll be doing in twenty years time. It's a bit scary!

June 02, 2005 10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home